MRI 1.5 Tesla or 3 Tesla? Differences and advantages.
Often, patients have a question: what is the difference between diagnostics on tomographs of various powers, especially 1.5 and 3 Tesla. We propose to understand this issue.
Depending on the magnitude of the magnetic field induction (which is often referred to for convenience as power or magnetic field strength) measured in Tesla, the following types of tomographs are distinguished:
Low-field (up to 0.5 Tesla). Diagnostic features: lower resolution, longer scan time, not all modern scanning techniques and image processing programs are available.
Midfield (above 1.0 Tesla) and high field (1.5 Tesla). Diagnostic features: good information content, allow the use of contrast agents, modern scanning techniques and image processing programs are available.
Ultrahigh-field (3 Tesla and above). Features of diagnostics: high detail and clarity of images.
Here is a comparison of images when examining various areas on the apparatus 1.5T and 3T.
Thus, the main differences between tomographs with different magnetic field strengths are in the information content of the studies, the degree of detail and clarity of the resulting image, and the availability of modern software. The high efficiency and information content of studies on a tomograph, with a magnetic field strength of 3 Tesla, is confirmed by clinical studies.
We present to your attention the facts proving the advantages of 3 Tesla diagnostics over 1.5 Tesla, described in domestic and foreign practice:
- The detection rate of breast cancer with 3 Tesla MRI screening mammography significantly exceeded that with MRI 1.5 Tesla (2.6% at 3 Tesla versus 0.9% at 1.5 Tesla).
- MRI 3 Tesla diagnosed 38.2% more lesions in multiple sclerosis than MRI 1.5 Tesla.
- 3 Tesla MRI allows you to identify and more clearly visualize hippocampal atrophy in Alzheimer's disease.
- 3 Tesla MRI cholangiography using SPACE mode showed better image quality compared to 1.5 Tesla MRI.
- 3 Tesla MR enterography showed great sensitivity for the diagnosis of ulceration of the intestinal mucosa in Crohn's disease.
- MRI 3 Tesla is statistically significantly superior to MRI 1.5 Tesla in the diagnosis of epileptogenic foci in the brain.
Hippocampal sclerosis on the left
- Diagnostics of neurovascular compression in neuralgia of cranial nerves on a 3 Tesla tomograph reflected the better detail of the cranial nerves, their branches, and small vessels.
- 3 Tesla MRI had an advantage over 1.5 Tesla in determining the cochlear nerve. Clear visualization of the cochlear nerve is important in the selection of candidates for cochlear implantation and is a predictor of implantation success.
- 3 Tesla MR-angiography made it possible to conduct a more accurate postoperative assessment of the effectiveness of endovascular interventions for cerebral aneurysms in comparison with 1.5 Tesla (digital subtraction angiography served as a control).
A Siemens Magnetom Spectra tomograph with a magnetic field strength of 3 Tesla has been installed at the Tomography Medical Center. This is the first and only ultra-high-field tomograph in private clinics in Belarus.
In addition to the above facts, we present the additional benefits of 3 Tesla MRI diagnostics:
- Obtaining images in 3D without extraneous noise, with the highest resolution, clarity and accuracy.
- Using the Tim4G + Dot technology, which significantly reduces the research time.
- Internal magnet illumination and additional ventilation for patient comfort during the procedure.
- In comparison with devices of previous generations, this tomograph has a shallower tunnel depth (an important factor for people with claustrophobia), and also does not require the use of additional equipment (coils) for examining the spine.
The opinion of the MRI doctor about the features of the diagnosis.
By Vesta Korolenok, an MRI doctor of the highest qualification category, a member of the Belarusian Society of Radiologists.
“Using a Siemens Magnetom Spectra 3 Tesla MRI scanner, we found excellent image uniformity. Its use for abdominal imaging has a relatively wider range of possibilities and provides high-resolution imaging. MRI diagnostics of various anatomical zones of the entire human body, central nervous system, mammary glands, musculoskeletal system, abdominal and pelvic organs enables the patient to obtain the most accurate diagnostic result. "
We remind you that in our medical center, in addition to standard examinations, you can undergo MRI of the whole body, mammary glands, as well as MRI with contrast enhancement.